Yacht is a web interface for managing docker containers similar to Portainer with an emphasis on templating to provide one-click deployments of dockerized applications. Think of it like a decentralized app store for servers that anyone can make packages for. In future releases, Yacht will permit one click updating of containers. It’s also completely free and open source, and great for both casual users and computer experts. In this step by step guide I will show you how to install Yacht on your Synology NAS in 30 seconds.
Install Docker via Synology “Package Center”.
Go to File Station and open the docker folder. Inside the docker folder, create one new folder and name it yacht. Follow the instructions in the image below.
Note: Be careful to enter only lowercase, not uppercase letters.
Go to Control Panel / Task Scheduler / Create / Scheduled Task / User-defined script. Follow the instructions in the images below.
Once you click on User-defined script a new window will open. Follow the instructions below:
- General: In the Task field type in “Install Yacht“. Uncheck the “Enabled” option. Select root User.
- Schedule: Select Run on the following date then select “Do not repeat“.
- Task Settings: Check “Send run details by email“, add your email then copy paste the code below in the Run command area. After that click OK.
docker run -d --name=yacht \ -p 8005:8000 \ -p 9001:9001 \ -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \ -v /volume1/docker/yacht:/config \ --restart always \ selfhostedpro/yacht
After you click OK on STEP 5 a new warning pop up window will open. Click OK.
After you click OK on STEP 6, select your “Install Yacht” Task then click the “Run” tab. You will be asked to run Install Yacht – click Yes. Follow the instructions in the image below.
Go back to STEP 1 or you will deal with karma 🙂
The installation process can take up to a few seconds/minutes. It will depend on your Internet speed connection. Now open your browser and type in http://Synology-ip-address:8005/ Type in the default Email and Password, then click Login.
After you connect for the first time using the default credentials above, remember to change the email and password. Follow the instructions in the image below.
Now you have all of your Docker containers at a glance! Enjoy your Yacht!
You can personalize everything!
Full Yacht Features
- Container templating compatibility (Portainer compatible).
- Basic container management.
- Easy template updating.
- Template Variables to allow for a one-click experience.
- Guided container deployment.
- Dashboard for monitoring all of your docker containers in one place.
Coming soon Features
- Advanced container management (edit/modify, networks, volumes).
- Docker-compose compatibility.
- User Management.
- One click updating of containers.
Note: If you want to run this container over HTTPS, check out my article How to Run Docker Containers Over HTTPS.
Note: Can I run Docker on my Synology NAS? See the supported models.
Note: Find out how to update the Yacht container with the latest image.
Note: How to Free Disk Space on Your NAS if You Run Docker.
This post was updated on Wednesday / September 29th, 2021 at 10:57 PM