Grocy is a web-based self-hosted groceries & household management solution for your home. Cut down on food waste, and manage your chores with this brilliant utility. Keep track of your purchases, how much food you are wasting, what chores need doing and what batteries need charging with this proudly Open Source tool. In this step by step guide I will show you how to install Grocy on your Synology NAS using Docker.
Install Docker via Synology “Package Center”.
Go to File Station and open the docker folder. Inside the docker folder, create one new folder and name it grocy. Follow the instructions in the image below.
Note: Be careful to enter only lowercase, not uppercase letters.
Go to Control Panel / Task Scheduler / Create / Scheduled Task / User-defined script. Follow the instructions in the image below.
Once you click on User-defined script a new window will open. Follow the instructions below:
- General: In the Task field type in “Install Grocy“. Uncheck “Enabled” option. Select root User.
- Schedule: Select Run on the following date then select “Do not repeat“.
- Task Settings: Check “Send run details by email“, add your email then copy paste the code below in the Run command area. After that click OK.
docker run -d --name=grocy \ -p 9111:80 \ -v /volume1/docker/grocy:/config \ --restart always \ ghcr.io/linuxserver/grocy
After you click OK on STEP 5 a new warning pop up window will open. Click OK.
After you click OK on STEP 6, select your “Install Grocy” Task then click the “Run” tab. You will be asked to run Install Grocy – click Yes. Follow the instructions in the image below.
Go back to STEP 1 or you will deal with karma 🙂
The installation process can take up to a few seconds/minutes. It will depend on your Internet speed connection. Now open your browser and type in http://Synology-ip-address:9111 Type in the default username and Password, then click OK.
Note: You can change the default Username and Password later.
After you click OK on STEP 9 you will see your Grocy Dashboard.
Click on Settings then Manage API keys.
Click Add to generate an API Key.
- Install the Grocy App on your Android Phone then open it.
- In the Server URL area type in http://Synology-ip-address:9111 from STEP 9. In the Valid API Key area type in your API key you have previously generated at STEP 12, then click Login.
- Welcome to your Grocy App!
The Grocy phone app will let you use your phone camera to take photos of products and scan products barcodes.
Note: Can I run Docker on my Synology NAS? See the supported models.
Note: Find out how to update Grocy container with the latest image.
Note: How to Free Disk Space on Your NAS if You Run Docker.
This post was updated on Saturday / May 22nd, 2021 at 9:16 AM