A major update to Synology’s operating system, DiskStation Manager (DSM), has been announced for 2022. The upcoming DSM 7.1 will be a relatively big update that will come, as always, with bug fixes, but also brand new features that uphold some of the highest security and functionality standards. One big focus of the DSM 7.1 update is Active Insight, Synology’s cloud-powered system status and monitoring solution that will enjoy many new features such as batch-deployment of updates across sites to allow for easier management of large-scale implementations. Also added to DSM 7.1 is a smarter integrated authentication system that digests activity patterns and reports on unusual activity.
- SMB Multichannel: Utilizes multiple network links and network connections to combine speed with SMB (Windows File Share) to provide redundancy and fault tolerance.
- DFS Support over SMB: Combining multiple Synology NAS file servers to provide file services to your network using Distributed File System code name (DFS).
- Active Insight: Synology’s cloud-powered system status and monitoring solution that will enjoy many new features such as reporting on unusual login times and locations, unused accounts being used after being idle, failed logins in DSM, batch-deployment of updates across sites to allow for easier management of large-scale implementations etc.
- FULL DSM Backup and Restoration: The upcoming major DSM OS update, DSM 7.1, introduces an exciting new feature: a complete DSM backup. In DSM 7.1 you can do a bare-metal level backup for the entire Synology system and all data stored on it. The option will allow admins to restore the entire Synology system quickly, with minimal manual configuration work.
- Hybrid Share: Hybrid Share gets new features: HTTP/3, Cache warm-up and GFS (Global File System). For the first time Synology mentions HTTP/3, so most likely we should be prepared for the advent of HTTP/3 on Synology products. Read more about HTTP/3 rumors and Synology.
- Added support for MacOS: bare-metal backup and on-demand syncing. Synology extends macOS support in Synology Drive and Active Backup for Business. Now macOS users can enjoy on-demand syncing for their macOS devices on Synology Drive and have the option to make a bare-metal backup through Active Backup for Business and save all of their files and system configurations.
Synology DSM 7.1 will be faster, easier, and more secure than the current DSM 7.0.1 so stay tuned with on mariushosting for upcoming news about the new DSM 7.1
Note: If you like the wallpaper in the screenshot above, you can download it from here.
Note: Synology DSM 7.1 will be released in Quarter 1 of 2022 as a public preview. Quarter 1 includes the months of January, February and March of 2022.
This post was updated on Thursday / April 7th, 2022 at 5:15 AM