Some Synology users have very recently contacted me to report that their operating system was upgraded via automatic update to a new DSM version called 7.1-42550. This latest DSM version is a beta version and it’s advisable to be careful with it so do not activate automatic updates, if you haven’t yet, that is. Most likely in a few day’s time this beta version of DSM 7.1 will become available for everyone. You can find the changelog for the new DSM 7.1-42550 Beta below. Stay tuned to mariushosting for the update. Since 22th of February 2022 DSM 7.1-42550 Beta is out and available for download.
Attention: DSM 7.1 RC version is no longer available. If you want to Install DSM 7.1 you should see: DSM 7.1-42661 Final Release.
This beta software is for evaluation purposes only and should not be installed in production environments. Synology cannot be held responsible for any damage, such as accidental data loss, caused by this beta software. After installing this update, you will not be able to downgrade to a previous DSM version. This update will restart your Synology NAS. For the following models, DSM 7.1 will be the last upgradable version.
- XS Series: RS3413xs+, RS10613xs+, RS3614xs+, RS3614xs, RS3614RPxs, RC18015xs+, DS3615xs, DS2015xs
- Plus Series: DS2413+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS713+, RS2414RP+, RS2414+, RS814RP+, RS814+, DS214+, RS815RP+, RS815+, DS2415+, DS1815+, DS1515+, DS415+, DS215+
- Value Series: RS814, RS214, DS414, DS214, DS214play, DS114, RS815, DS1515, DS715, DS415play, DS115
- J Series: DS213j, DS414slim, DS414j, DS214se, DS215j, DS115j, DS216se
- Adjusted the LED indicator for drives’ health status. When a drive’s health status is critical or failing, the indicator will show static orange.
- Windows 2000 domains are no longer supported.
- Removed the “Synchronize with an NTP server every time a domain user signs in” option for Domain/LDAP advanced settings. Users can configure the “Synchronize with NTP server” option at Regional Options > Time instead.
- Added support for the UPS power-off function at Control Panel > Hardware & Power > UPS.
- Synology Storage Replication Adapter can only be used with DSM 7.0.1 or earlier versions. If you are using or plan to use Synology Storage Replication Adapter, please continue to use the current DSM version.
- SSD Cache Groups can be allocated to multiple volumes, allowing for more flexible management of SSD cache capacity.
- Storage Manager now supports the management of the drives and storage of both active server and passive server in a Synology High Availability cluster.
- If there is a file system error, DSM will unmount the volume to run file system checks without interrupting the services on other volumes.
- Reduced the minimum threshold for low capacity notification from 5% to 3%.
- Added support for custom OIDC (OpenID Connect) settings to integrate DSM with external SSO servers.
- Added support for the RTF editor to allow users to preview notification message content and style in real-time when editing.
- Added support for bypass traverse checking at Control Panel > File Services > Advanced to allow users to traverse folders and access permitted files or subfolders.
- Supports specifying domains from the list of trusted domains to synchronize domain data.
- Added the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT+00:00) time zone option at Control Panel > Regional Options > Time.
- Added the synchronization status between DSM and NTP servers at Control Panel > Regional Options > Time.
- Added icons on the taskbar to indicate ongoing background tasks that might affect system performance.
- Users can now open tabs directly from search results in Control Panel.
- Supports automatically updating the domain database and syncing domain data regularly. For Synology NAS that are used to create domains, the “Update User Groups/Lists” option in Control Panel > Domains/LDAP will be disabled by default after updating to DSM 7.1 Beta.
The update progress bar on a Synology High Availability cluster might not display the actual progress percentage. This won’t affect the update progress.
Below you can see a screenshot from a Synology NAS user that owns a DS3617xs and whose device has automatically updated its OS to the latest DSM beta version 7.1-42550.
Synology has issued an apology to users who have downloaded their DSM 7.1 Beta automatically.
The best thing you can do right now to prevent an automatic OS update from being installed on your device is to turn off automatic updates.
Go to Control Panel / External Access / DSM Update tab / click the Update Settings button. Follow the instructions in the image below.
After you click Update Settings at STEP 1, check “Notify me and let me decide whether to install the new update”, then click OK. Follow the instructions in the image below.
This post was updated on Wednesday / April 6th, 2022 at 4:21 PM