With great surprise, on June 12, 2020, Synology presented and officially launched its 2.5 “SATA SSD disks worldwide. The new Synology disks are fully compatible with all Synology NAS devices. Synology SAT5200 (Series) SATA SSD offers stable I/O performance while reducing the latency of critical services and applications. It is built to handle mixed and intensive 24/7 workloads without compromising on endurance, providing a streamlined storage experience on Synology systems with minimal service disruptions. Its strengths are summarized below in 4 points:
- Performance: Up to 67,000 4K random write IOPS (Performance was measured using FIO on Linux with Queue Depth 32 “4 KB = 4,096 bytes”). Engineered for demanding environments such as online transaction processing (OLTP) databases and virtualization deployments, Synology SAT5200 delivers stable high performance at up to 67,000 4K random write IOPS, allowing firms to modernize existing storage infrastructure effortlessly.
- Endurance: 1.3 DWPD for 24/7 enterprise workloads (The endurance rating was calculated based on a JESD219A enterprise workload).
- Reliability: End-to-end data protection and power loss protection. Provides 1.3 DWPD within the 5-year warranty period to withstand 24/7 intensive workloads. End-to-end data protection safeguards data integrity and consistency over the entire data transfer path. Power loss protection circuit design with dedicated capacitors provide sufficient power to flush data-in-flight into NAND flash during a power loss event, further preventing data corruption.
- Lifetime Analytics: Actionable insight for optimal performance and longevity. Full integration with Synology’s DiskStation Manager (DSM) enables lifetime analytics for each SAT5200 unit based on actual workloads. (DSM version requirement: 6.2.3-25426 or later version).
Three different models with different price tags are available for purchase (on Amazon) and cater to all needs:
- Synology 2.5” SATA SSD 480 GB – Price 179.99$
- Synology 2.5” SATA SSD 960 GB – Price 349.99$
- Synology 2.5” SATA SSD 1920 GB – Price 599.99$
- Synology 2.5” SATA SSD 3840 GB – Price 1200.99$
Note: (According to Synology) Synology SAT5200 is thoroughly tested for compatibility with our systems following each engineering change, while firmware and component changes are strictly managed. Intensive I/O stress, power cycling, and temperature trials ensure that all products meet our strictest standards for quality and reliability.
This post was updated on Sunday / October 4th, 2020 at 12:03 AM