Below you can see an official list from Synology, complete with all the latest news regarding Synology DSM 7.0 – If you have not yet registered to join the DSM 7.0 beta testing, I recommend you do it before January 14th 2020, at which date registrations will be closing.
WHAT’S NEW ON DSM 7.0
- Added the ability to eject a storage pool on an expansion unit to enable the safe removal of drives.
- Added the ability to mount storage pools from drives that were inserted after the device has been powered on.
- Added Auto Repair, the ability to specify drive bays that will automatically initiate a RAID repair when the drive in that bay has been replaced.
- Added the ability to replace drives with an unused one for pre-emptive replacements or storage capacity upgrades without degrading the storage pool.
- Added the option to automatically replace degraded drives with Hot Spares, before degradation of the storage pool occurs.
- Added new machine learning based health monitoring system to proactively identify drives with performance or degradation issues.
- Added new Fast Repair mechanism to reduce the time needed for RAID repair based on the amount of storage capacity used.
- Added the ability to configure when the automatic protection mechanism for SSD Cache should trigger in multi-drive fault tolerance SSD Cache setups.
- Added a preview for storage usage under Btrfs volumes.
- Added support for Western Digital® Device Analytics™ (WDDA) health analytics service for compatible WD Purple, Red, and Red Pro drives.
- Improved Storage Manager usability with a clearer display of volume and storage pool relationships.
- Improved SSD Cache Advisor with a new real-time volume monitoring system to provide more accurate and efficient sizing suggestions.
- SSD Cache creation and removal processes will no longer interrupt ongoing services.
- SAN Manager will replace iSCSI Manager. SAN Manager is now a separate modularized service and can be updated through Package Center in the future.
- New Synology Storage Console plugin available, providing direct storage monitoring capabilities on VMware vSphere or Windows Server interfaces.
- New Fibre Channel Protocol support:
- FS Series: FS3400, FS1018, FS2017
- SA Series: SA3400
- XS+/XS Series: RS1619xs+, RS3618xs, DS3018xs, RS18017xs+, RS4017xs+, RS3617RPxs, RS3617xs+, DS3617xs
Recommended FC Adapter
- Marvell: QLogic QLE2692-SR-CK
A list of validated FC adapters will be available when DSM 7.0 has been officially released.
- Added Direct I/O option, for usage environments requiring maximum data consistency.
- Added the ability to set a Global iSCSI CHAP to authenticate all connections and discovery sessions.
- Added the ability to move LUNs across volumes.
- Added support for FUA and Sync Cache SCSI commands.
- Improved I/O performance, space reclamation speed, and overall connection stability.
- Improved the display of recorded performance metrics with finer granularity of data points and the ability to focus on certain time points.
- Improved monitoring transparency of system services by separating larger, unrelated processes.
FILE SYSTEM / FILE SERVICES
- Added the ability to toggle File Compression anytime for Shared Folders created with DSM 7.0.
- Added cross-protocol locking between SMB and AFP.
- Added support for server-side copy for SMB on macOS.
- Added support for accessing encrypted share folders via NFS protocol.
- Improved Btrfs performance and lowered I/O latency.
- Improved file compression ratio, current ratio is shown under each shared folder.
- SMB file service has been modularized and can be updated separately through Package Center.
- Added the ability to delegate predefined admin roles.
- Added the ability to require imported users to change their passwords after initial DSM login.
- Improved LDAP client authentication performance by reducing the number of queries sent.
- Added support for Let’s Encrypt wildcard certificates when using Synology DDNS service.
- Added the ability to block USB and console ports.
- Improved QuickConnect connection process to strengthen security.
- Modern Compatibility option for TLS/SSL profile level now only supports TLS 1.3.
- Added the ability to back up DSM system configuration to a connected Synology Account.
- Added severity levels to notifications for better categorization of events.
- Improved user interface responsiveness.
- Improved responsiveness of launching installed packages and services.
- Improved login performance when connecting from external networks.
- Improved Control Panel usability by reorganizing related functionality together
- Added new Synology Account tab to consolidate future services provided through Synology Account.
- Consolidated Domain/LDAP options, with a new unified wizard.
- Consolidated QuickConnect settings into the External Access tab.
- Consolidated User and Groups settings.
- Consolidated Theme and Application Portal options into Login Portal tab.
- Consolidated email notification options into Notification > Email tab.
- Consolidated WS-Discovery into File Services > SMB.
- SMB Server Signing option has been relocated to File Services > SMB > Advanced Settings.
- Shared Folder Sync has been moved into the File Services tab.
- DHCP Server has been modularized into a package.
This post was updated on Tuesday / December 8th, 2020 at 6:48 PM